Monday, August 19, 2013

"I'm good." Good at What? Good for What?

More bad English, where does this come from?
Nowadays when you ask folks (especially young ones) a question like "how are you/" or "can I get you something to drink?' you often get the response "I'm good" instead of "I'm fine" or "no thanks".
Instead of answering the question, folks make unjustified positive value judgments about themselves. What are you good for? Or good at? And who on earth told you that you are good for, or at, anything at all?? Maybe you're a jerk and others are just being polite wasting their time talking to you. Perhaps they wish you would just go away, instead of telling them how good you are.
Bad money drives out good, but need bad language do the same?

3 comments:

  1. Outstanding observation, and they run in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing out loud in my office. If someone comes by and asks me what's going on, I'll tell her: "I'm good."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah's college kid, fresh off the plane from Beijing, when asked how he is says "I'm good" for crying in a bucket

    ReplyDelete